Today started off as any other day, but ended in a car accident on the highway.  Don’t worry, I’m okay…I think…This evening when I was leaving work, I was on a natural high.  I had just received a phone call from a law firm downtown.  I had my first interview with them over a month ago and they finally made a decision to hire me.  My current job is great; I really like my co-workers, and the company’s strong commitment to giving back to the community.  (I think I was donating like $50 a week for fundraising games and drawings, lol)   The problem was it was an hour commute and no benefits.  I really don’t want to leave, but I have to make decisions for the future.  As I walked through the parking lot, I was excited about my new-new job and equally excited about being able to work out again.  Today was supposed to be my first day back at boot camp class.  The highway was packed with the usual rush hour traffic.  All of a sudden when I approached my exit for class, traffic came to a screeching halt.  I nervously looked in my rearview mirror to make sure the SUV behind me was able to stop fast enough, and they were, but the Big Semi truck behind them could not stop and slammed into the SUV behind me, which pushed them into the back of my car. 

 My radio popped out during impact and CDs in the dash flew everywhere.  I was so scared that I was shaking, but thankful that I was wearing my seatbelt.  It saved me from real severe injuries.  I had to speed up out of the way of passing cars and pull over to the shoulder.  I called 911 Emergency and after what felt like 100 rings the dispatcher answered and said he would send out an officer.  Once they arrived, the paramedics checked me out.  They said would put me in neck brace and back board if I needed it.  I felt more flustered at the time than hurt, so I declined.  I called my family and let them know what happened at that I wasn’t hurt bad.  After the shock started to wear off, I began to feel the pain in my back, then my neck, then my side.  My Dad showed up at my house shortly after I got home, and then my Mom, Big little Sister, and God Brother showed up.  Awww….they love me.  My Big Little Sister took me to the Emergency Room because the pain was getting worse.  I was diagnosed with some fancy medical terms, but basically whip lash and pulled back muscles.  No broken bones.  The Doctor said it’ll be worse before it gets better with muscle injures.  They prescribed some muscle relaxers and sent me on my way.  But, like I said, thank GOD I’m alive! P.S.  I forgot to mention the funniest part of the story.  The triage nurse had lots of general health questions and asked “Have you had any trouble eating in the past few days? How’s your appetite, is it good?”  I kinda chuckled, and my silly sister said, I’d have to say her appetite’s been better than good, it’s been “GREAT.”  I must admit, I did manage to squeeze in some food before going to the ER. 

  1. Glad your ok! Good luck with the new job!

    • Thanks Cathie, they say it’s supposed to snow tomorrow, so I’ll be very grateful when my commute time goes from 1hour to 15 minutes.

  2. Wow, your accident sounds super scary! glad you are basically ok.

Leave a Reply